Monday, December 10, 2012

Oil Painting Classes

Omg, I am loving my oil painting classes. I'm attending a beginner's oil painting class run by Ellen Michel. Anyone can sign up any time as every one works at their own pace.

The first lesson was painting on a canvas the different tones, using just black and white paint, and painting horizontal stripes, going from white all the way to black. It was difficult painting the different tones, as it might have been too light, or too dark. But I got there in the end, and it only took me 2.5hrs (which was how long the class ran for). But it was fun!! And it was the first time I had ever used oil paints.

Last week's class I had to do a painting of rembrant, only using black paint. To make it more difficult, we had to paint the picture upside down. I was nervous, as I have never really painted before, let alone have the reference painting upside down. The lesson was not to see the face, but only the shapes, the different tones, highlights, shadows and paint that, instead of what your brain automatically assumes is there. And to make the different tones, all I had to do was use my fingers or a rag to rub off the paint to make it greyish or white. Amazing. It was like an eraser.

So I painted this face upside down. Towards the end, I got to turn the painting over and refine it a bit, but because class was nearly up, I didn't get to finish it and the right side of the face looks quite retarded, but overall I'm very happy with my second attempt at oil painting. I think the left side of the face looks pretty good :).

I'm excited about tomorrow's lesson. This time we'll be using white paint on this painting.

 
So this was pretty much how I was painting for the majority of the class. The reference picture was upside down and I had to try and paint the shapes I saw. Ie. Triangles for his nose, under his eyes, the slight traingle on his chin etc.

 
And this is the painting the right way up. Obviously there are quite a few flaws in this painting (I can't even look at the right side of his face without cringing), but for my second class at oil painting, I'm pretty proud of myself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment